[x] Please registar to use this forum
Inverclyde Community Forums
Hello July 26, 2014, 12:02:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Home   Forum   Help Arcade Arcade Gallery Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: James Watt College cut Bursary payments ....  (Read 1884 times)
(Hidden)

Activity
0%

« on: May 21, 2010, 03:01:24 PM »
Go Up Go Down

http://www.greenocktelegraph.co.uk/news/greenock/articles/2010/05/21/400577-college-slashes-student-payments/

Oh no ! What will the next generation of nail filers and eyebrow pluckers do ?

Coaning Munt is a fictitious character, made up to stimulate some heated debate.
The views of the character do not necessarily reflect those of the author in any way.

If you are offended, take a deep breath and remember you are dealing with a cartoon character who doesn't actually exist.
(Hidden)

Activity
0%

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 04:11:56 PM »
Go Up Go Down

http://www.greenocktelegraph.co.uk/news/greenock/articles/2010/05/21/400577-college-slashes-student-payments/

Oh no ! What will the next generation of nail filers and eyebrow pluckers do ?

Travel & Tourism per chance?
(Hidden)
I am Lost
Administrator

Activity
0.67%

Mood:Indescribable
Indescribable

"Screw You Guys"!!..."I'm Going Home"!!

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 04:13:32 PM »
Go Up Go Down

at least they are trying

What Price Salvation
(Hidden)

Activity
0%

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 05:07:53 PM »
Go Up Go Down

Unforchoonately colleges liek teh kjames watt ur jist places tae put folk tae keep them aff ra unemployment figures nooadays.

Therz so many foklk goin tae them these days and tae a certin extent the yoonis (original and jumped up wans tae) that the qualifikashuns attained there ur gettin merr and merr worthless.

In ma last job ah employed a guy who hudda honors degree in It Networkin, might as well have been in dustin trees fur all the use it whiz. He got it frae ra Napier Uni, efter all his work it wiz sumthin that wiznae worth as much as the paper it wiz printed on.

He went tae dae it efter gettin made redundant as a pattern maker (a highly skilled job in the industry he worked in)
The broo convinced him intae daein it wae tales ov rosy fyoochurs and ithur such pish
But that wiz him aff ra unemployment figures furra few years, then right back on them again

All this nonsense does is drive doon ra wages ov ra jobs in question as therez thoosands of deluded  folk oot there wae similar "qualificashuns" lookin furra job.

JB posted the salary of job in IBM daein support, thats less than ah wiz gettin (and ah got a car as well) 17 years ago. Daylight robbery tae pay sumwan that amount, but the employers will be lappin it up as there'll be plenty of takers fur that plus similar jobs

Ah wouldnae advise anywan nooadays tae look furra job in IT
(Hidden)
Administrator

Activity
0%

Mood:Happy
Happy

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 06:16:24 PM »
Go Up Go Down

There are still the same course at JWC I believe. I did a computer course not that long ago, and I know people attending filming, mechanics etc courses as well.

So I don't think its all cut and curl. And at least these people are out trying to make a difference in their lifes.

I agree the wages I posted earlier are not the best, and I am not defending them, but they are better paid than most jobs about here.

I feel for people who work in the local town centre shops who pay IMO terrible money, am sure some Managers in some shops get less money then people working in call centres, yet have all that responsibilty, stuff that.(No discredit to any Shop Managers out there).

(Hidden)
Administrator

Activity
0%

Happy

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 06:22:46 PM »
Go Up Go Down

Once again, unbelievably, I agree with you.

Not unless you're from Bangalore and quite fancy a British citizenship by way of an American multinatonal who will sponsor anyone to come and work in the UK so that they get their labour for half price.
Regardless of how pish you are in the grand scheme of things.

Stop it or I will start a rumour!! 
(Hidden)

Activity
0%

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 06:32:27 PM »
Go Up Go Down

Once again, unbelievably, I agree with you.

Not unless you're from Bangalore and quite fancy a British citizenship by way of an American multinatonal who will sponsor anyone to come and work in the UK so that they get their labour for half price.
Regardless of how pish you are in the grand scheme of things.

Stop it or I will start a rumour!! 

SHUTIT YOO .......................................AGAIN!
(Hidden)

Activity
0%

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 06:39:43 PM »
Go Up Go Down

There are still the same course at JWC I believe. I did a computer course not that long ago, and I know people attending filming, mechanics etc courses as well.

So I don't think its all cut and curl. And at least these people are out trying to make a difference in their lifes.

I agree the wages I posted earlier are not the best, and I am not defending them, but they are better paid than most jobs about here.

I feel for people who work in the local town centre shops who pay IMO terrible money, am sure some Managers in some shops get less money then people working in call centres, yet have all that responsibilty, stuff that.(No discredit to any Shop Managers out there).

Ah dinnae huvva problem wae ra spare time courses, not inra slightest but people are bein sold a pup when it comes tae get affra broo and dae a course stuff.

If yoo want a course that will get yoo a decent job then dae wan that will get yoo intae wan of ra profeshuns though you kin only dae ra starter stuff at teh JWC fur these

Ma lad started aff wantin tae dae IT, then thought better ov it, then it wiz ah wull dae electronics the thought better of it tae, ended up efter a year of thinkin aboot it wantin tae dae Pharmacy, best decison he ever made, noo huzza good job(s) an dexcellent prospects furra fyoochur.

The JWC and its ilk used tae provide excellent educashun in line wae proper apprenticeships as Contrifibmalarky says these people are now workin all over ra world.

(Hidden)
Administrator

Activity
0%

Happy

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 07:19:13 PM »
Go Up Go Down

Ah dinnae huvva problem wae ra spare time courses, not inra slightest but people are bein sold a pup when it comes tae get affra broo and dae a course stuff.

If yoo want a course that will get yoo a decent job then dae wan that will get yoo intae wan of ra profeshuns though you kin only dae ra starter stuff at teh JWC fur these

Ma lad started aff wantin tae dae IT, then thought better ov it, then it wiz ah wull dae electronics the thought better of it tae, ended up efter a year of thinkin aboot it wantin tae dae Pharmacy, best decison he ever made, noo huzza good job(s) an dexcellent prospects furra fyoochur.

The JWC and its ilk used tae provide excellent educashun in line wae proper apprenticeships as Contrifibmalarky says these people are now workin all over ra world.

Times change, nowt new there, all the best to your lad.

Any college was and is, not/never a stepping stome to a £90k a year job, but for most who just want to get a kinda decent job and live a decent life it is more than fine.

I mean, most high up people in jobs earning mega money live a stressful life and pop thier clogs at 56, the year after they retire.

Looks like am fecked! 

(Hidden)

Activity
0%

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 07:47:09 PM »
Go Up Go Down

Times change, nowt new there, all the best to your lad.

Any college was and is, not/never a stepping stome to a £90k a year job, but for most who just want to get a kinda decent job and live a decent life it is more than fine.**

I mean, most high up people in jobs earning mega money live a stressful life and pop thier clogs at 56, the year after they retire.

Looks like am fecked!  

**Aye it is! ah know folk, sum even still livin locally who attended ra jimmy watt and are earnin in excess of that - both older and younger than 56. They are whut they ur partly due tae ra jimmy watt

Still lookin at IT, ma furst real IT job wiz wurkin furr IBM in 1986, ah wizza service engineer fixin golf-ball typewriters and word processors fur £10K + a car, ah wizra lowest paid in ma dept, onra furst rung ovra ladder, left a year later furra grand merr and a better motor and trainin

The wages today urnae much better than that, thats fekkin criminal. The reason fur that is ra colleges turnin oot merr IT "qualified" workers than there is jobs tae go roon, hence ra wages ur kept low ur driven lower.

Its taking longer an dlonger in IT tae get tae above £20K but why should the employers bother payin that kinda money when therz some mug comin along wholl dae it fur hauf that

The problem wae IT is that a lot of folk in it are peopel who also dae it as a hobby hence pat them buttons and they'll think its great.

Where am workin jist noo the entry level job (dsktop support) huz recently been outsourced but they entry level jobs are payin aroon £22K because if they pay that they keep good people and attract the best tae.

The best jobs in IT nooadays are really fek all tae dae wae compyooturs directly, they are:

Networkin - jimmy watt dizza a Cisco course, the best IT course they huv, chance of gettin a job wae that, wae decent prospects too.

Project Management - need plenty of experience and a Prince2-Practitioner certificate - minimum bit of a glut jist noo and yoo need experience.

Unix develeopers - see contribmalarky/wellies/highlander far to eccentric fur me
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 08:31:19 PM by (Hidden) » Logged
(Hidden)
Global Moderator

Activity
0%

Mood:Okay
Okay

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 08:13:29 PM »
Go Up Go Down

Good on anyone who wants to study (whether it be College or Uni) and better themselves. 

What bothers me is though, is that there are plenty who choose to go, take the bursary money, dont attend half the time, or when they do are so disinterested it affects the other students and pees off the Lecturers, and all to just keep the 'Broo' off their backs, and have no intention of finding a job at the end of their course.  When I was in college, there was plenty of them.
(Hidden)
Administrator

Activity
0%

Happy

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2010, 08:37:27 PM »
Go Up Go Down

Any college was and is, not/never a stepping stome to a £90k a year job, but for most who just want to get a kinda decent job and live a decent life it is more than fine.

Don't entirely agree.
I have worked with some James Watt HNC people in the past who are now running multi nationals.
Once you get in the door, the rest is up to you.
A good engineer can turn their hand to anything, cos it's just a case of applying the same logical mentality to other scenarios.

They didn't study hairdressing though - that's the point I was making.

Ma heed hurts!!

No I think, as in think you miss my point. Times have changed, ok we have different courses at JWC now but come on are you saying we will never see anyone coming out of it and getting a high paid job per chance.

Yes most will be on the lower end of the salary scale, but I bet the are happier people than the big wigs on huge money and huge pressures and heart attacks at 56
(Hidden)

Activity
0%

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2010, 08:45:02 PM »
Go Up Go Down

Don't entirely agree.
I have worked with some James Watt HNC people in the past who are now running multi nationals.
Once you get in the door, the rest is up to you.
A good engineer can turn their hand to anything, cos it's just a case of applying the same logical mentality to other scenarios.

They didn't study hairdressing though - that's the point I was making.

Ma heed hurts!!

No I think, as in think you miss my point. Times have changed, ok we have different courses at JWC now but come on are you saying we will never see anyone coming out of it and getting a high paid job per chance.

Yes most will be on the lower end of the salary scale, but I bet the are happier people than the big wigs on huge money and huge pressures and heart attacks at 56

Granted times huv changed.........................................BUT...................................................................

They are training folks fur jobs that don't exist and will not exist

They are using it tae frig the unemployement figures furra length ovra course

They should be teachin folk (ra wans that actually want to learn not teh wasters oot ra road ovra buses) courses that are relevant and only in sensible numbers

(Hidden)
Global Moderator

Activity
0%

Mood:Okay
Okay

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2010, 08:53:12 PM »
Go Up Go Down

by Sam

They should be teachin folk (ra wans that actually want to learn not teh wasters oot ra road ovra buses) courses that are relevant and only in sensible numbers

[quote/]

I agree, but it's very difficult to weesil out a bad pupil until the course has started. Imo.
(Hidden)

Activity
0%

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2010, 08:59:35 PM »
Go Up Go Down

by Sam

[quote/]

I agree, but it's very difficult to weesil out a bad pupil until the course has started. Imo.

Unforchoonately teh colleges need tae keep thur numbers up of attendees and how many pass tae
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: